Barcelona attack leaves at least 13 dead; name of possible attacker revealed

22:30, 17 August 2017
170 0
Updated

A van plowed into crowds in the heart of Barcelona on Thursday and Spanish media reported at least 13 people were killed, in what police said they were treating as a terrorist attack, according to Reuters.

REUTERS

The death toll was reported by Cadena Ser radio, citing police sources. Police said some people were dead and injured but did not confirm the number of casualties. They said were searching for the driver of the van, Reuters reports.

Spanish newspaper El Periodico said two armed men were holed up in a bar in Barcelona's city center, and reported gunfire in the area, although it did not cite the source of the information.

The deadly van was rented by Driss Oukabir, who is believed to have been involved in the attack, according to El Pais.

Roger‏ @RogerMusicOfi

It was not immediately clear whether the incidents were connected.

Read alsoVan hits crowd in Barcelona, police say incident "terrorist attack" - media

Media reports said the van had zigzagged at speed down the famous Las Ramblas avenue, a magnet for tourists.

A few hours later, Spanish public broadcaster RTVE announced that one suspect in the Barcelona van attack had been arrested. Authorities provided no immediate information on the person or on who might be behind the attack, the Associated Press reports.

As UNIAN reported earlier, AFP said local police deemed the incident as "terrorist attack."

According to Site Intel Group, Amaq News Agency reported ISIS took responsibility for Barcelona attack.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter