REUTERS Ukrainian steelmakers boosted steel output by 6% in April 2018 year-over-year (y-o-y), to 1.7 million tonnes, having risen from the 14th to the 13th place in the international steelmakers rating drawn up by the World Steel Association (WSA). In January-April 2018, Ukraine reduced steel production by 0.2% y-o-y, to 6.985 million tonnes while also taking up the 13th place in the ranking. China was still on top of the rating in April 2018 with 76.7 million tonnes of steel (4.8% up y-o-y) produced. The runner-up is Japan (8.723 million tonnes, 0.4% down), then come India (8.692 million tonnes, 5.6% up), the United States (6.93 million tonnes, 3.6% up), Russia (6.03 million tonnes, 2.4% up), South Korea (5.893 million tonnes, 7.1% up), Germany (3.775 million tonnes, 1.7% down) Turkey (2.953 million tonnes, 3.1% down), and Brazil (2.949 million tonnes, 1% up). Read alsoUkraine ready to help Egypt&#39;s steelmakers modernizeIn total, the 64 countries ranked by the WSA increased steel output by 4.1% in April 2018 y-o-y, to 148.322 million tonnes. China also topped the WSA rating in January-April 2018 with 288.969 million tonnes (5% up y-o-y). It was followed by India (35.381 million tonnes, 4.2% up), Japan (35.129 million tonnes, 0.4% up), the United States (27.747 million tonnes, 2.8% up), Russia (23.797 million tonnes, 0.9% up), South Korea (23.696 million tonnes, 3.8% up), Germany (14.785 million tonnes, 0.2% down), Turkey (12.492 million tonnes, 5.1% up), and Brazil (11.594 million tonnes, 4% up). The 64 countries ranked by the WSA boosted steel output by 4% in the four months of 2018 y-o-y, to 575.155 million tonnes. As UNIAN reported earlier, Ukraine in 2017 slid to the 12th place in the international steelmakers ranking, having cut production by 6.4% against 2016, to 22.7 million tonnes. UNIAN memo. Ukraine ranked seventh in the WSA 2013 rating in terms of steel output, having produced 30.4 million tonnes. In 2014, the country slid to the 10th place with a steel output of 27.2 million tonnes. Since 2014, two factors have affected domestic steelmakers&#39; activities: hostilities in Donbas, where more than half of steel production facilities are located, and a decline in world prices of raw materials for metallurgy and finished products. They reduced steelmakers&#39; revenue and toughened competition on world markets, which was most evident in 2015. However, Ukraine managed to retain its 10th position in the industry rating in 2015 and 2016.