Top news of the day
- SBU warns Russia may use religious feuds combined with terror acts as pretext for open invasion 00:40 Tuesday, 11 December 2018
- Over 80 Russian lawyers ready to defend 24 captive Ukrainian sailors 22:55 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Kyiv Patriarchate has proposals as for procedure of Orthodox churches' unification council 18:55 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Poroshenko enacts law on termination of Ukraine-Russia friendship deal 17:59 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Elizaveta Doronzeva Week's balance: Ukraine awaiting IMF tranche, Firtash's regional gas companies accused of "sabotage," and Ukrzaliznytsia seeing ticket chaos Ukraine took another step toward receiving a bailout tranche from the IMF; Naftogaz called actions of Dmytro Firtash’s gas distribution firms "sabotage"; while Ukrzaliznytsia experienced a ticketing chaos – these are the main economic news of the outgoing week.
- Nana Chornaya Nord Stream 2: Is Europe aware of the Russian noose? Russia's aggression against Ukraine in the Black Sea has raised to another level in the international arena the issue of the construction of the Nord Stream-2, the Kremlin's noose for the European Union. European officials have already submitted to Parliament a resolution on halting support for the Russian project, but it is only scheduled to be heard in March. UNIAN figured out what Ukraine should expect from a Europe that is constantly "in doubt."
- Week's balance: "Martial law" economy, swinging hryvnia, and EUR 500 mln aid from EU Ukraine, for the first time in modern history, is learning how to live under martial law and it is not yet clear how this will affect the national economy, although the hryvnia responded immediately by going into a steep dive, only to regain positions shortly. The EU finally allocated the first EUR 500 million aid tranche, while IMF also sent positive signals by not turning away from Ukraine and being ready to consider the allocation of the next tranche. The country's main airport became closer as Ukrzaliznytsia launched an express railbus line, connecting it with the Kyiv center - these are the key economic news of the outgoing week.
- Tomos of autocephaly: Should Ukraine expect provocations from Moscow Patriarchate and what should be done about it The Moscow Patriarchate is gradually losing Ukraine. Among other things, this is evidenced by a rather inert reaction to statements of the opponents of the "new unified church" idea – namely the Russian Orthodox Church and the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate in the traditionally more pro-Russian regions - Kharkiv, Zaporizhia, and Odesa. At the same time, pro-Russian priests are taking a far more aggressive stance.
- Russia gas pipeline to boost grip on Ukraine, Europe: U.S. diplomat – media 23:30 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Ukraine, Lithuania sign agreement to protect migrant workers' rights 21:50 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Inflation in Ukraine in November accelerates to 10% y-o-y 20:59 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Ukraine, China extend US$2.2 billion currency swap agreement 16:30 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Elizaveta Doronzeva Week's balance: Ukraine awaiting IMF tranche, Firtash's regional gas companies accused of "sabotage," and Ukrzaliznytsia seeing ticket chaos
- Nana Chornaya Nord Stream 2: Is Europe aware of the Russian noose?
- Week's balance: "Martial law" economy, swinging hryvnia, and EUR 500 mln aid from EU
- Oleksandr Kynytsky Week's balance: Rada passes 2019 Budget, discount air carriers announce expansion in Ukraine, while Poroshenko signs law on customs clearance of cars with EU plates
- Week's balance: Poroshenko "turns on" heating, U.S. vows energy support, while GDP growth slows down
- Yaroslav Samolyuk Week's balance: Benefits and fines for drivers of EU-tagged cars, new taxes, and blackout threat in Luhansk region
- Vandals damage name plate of Ukrainian Cultural Center in Paris (Photo)The Ukrainian Cultural and Information Center operates at the Ukrainian Embassy in France on Avenue de Messine in the Monceau park area.
The Guardian: Russia 'paved way for Ukraine ship seizures with fake news drive'19:57, 10 December 2018
One killed, another three injured as Ukrainian shuttle buses collide in Slovenia (Photo)13:40, 10 December 2018
- Ex-U.S. foreign policy advisor says Russia's attack on Ukrainian boats was 'pre-planned ambush' 03:15 Tuesday, 11 December 2018
- One Ukrainian soldier wounded in Donbas on Sunday 09:20 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Fox News: Russia building up forces near Crimea amid tensions with Ukraine, satellite photos show 03:05 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Moscow Patriarchate cleric denied crossing contact line in Donbas 16:00 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Ukraine counterintel exposes ex-defense official spying for Russia 09:00 Monday, 10 December 2018
- Ukraine ranks 11th among 34 European countries in overall religiosity – Pew Research 21:59 Sunday, 09 December 2018