Top news of the day
- President Poroshenko holds phone conversation with Merkel 17:40 Monday, 21 May 2018
- Crimean Tatar leader explains Russia's miscalculation of Crimean bridge 14:51 Monday, 21 May 2018
- Russian-backed forces blow up bridge on Khrustalniy–Luhansk route (Photo) 13:20 Monday, 21 May 2018
- OSCE SMM reports undetermined explosion close to its patrols in Luhansk region 11:12 Monday, 21 May 2018
- Week's balance: EU decides to lend EUR 1 bln, Rada outlaws palm oil, Kyiv ups public transport fares The EU plans to lend EUR 1 billion to Ukraine, demanding more efforts to fight corruption, on the eve of summer vacations the Verkhovna Rada intends to outlaw the use of palm oil in food production, and the Kyiv authorities have decided to sharply raise the fare in public transport to prevent collapse – these are the major economic developments of the past week.
- Yevgeny Magda Ukrainian interest. Putin's tricks, tireless Volker and cold shower from Mingarelli The Russian president demonstrated an arsenal of various moves to maintain the image of the "great and terrible." Ukraine's Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin quoted Ukrainian film maker Oleh Sentsov, who went on hunger strike in a Russian prison. U.S. Special Representative for Ukraine Negotiations Kurt Volker was persistently promoting a peaceful settlement of the conflict in Donbas. On the eve of Europe Day in Ukraine, Head of the Delegation of the European Union to Ukraine Hugues Mingarelli disclosed several unpleasant facts for Ukraine.
- Yevgeny Magda Ukrainian interest. Prospects in Germany's Aachen, Putin's oath and Trump vs. Obama policy A meeting took place in a hybrid Normandy format in Aachen, Germany, – without the participation of Vladimir Putin. Kurt Volker announced a visit to Ukraine, having made a number of statements. The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague issued the award, obliging Russia to pay compensation to Ukrainian companies for the loss of property in Crimea. Putin took the oath of office for his fourth term as Russian president. Nikol Pashinyan became Prime Minister of Georgia. Donald Trump continued wiping out the gains of the Barack Obama Administration's foreign policy.
- Week's balance: Punishment for Crimea, Nord Stream 2 in Germany, and oil price hikes The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague issued its award on Russia, making it responsible for the seizure of Ukrainian companies' assets in Crimea; the construction of the Russian Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline was launched in the north of Germany; and the prices of crude oil soared in connection with a decision by U.S. President Donald Trump to withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal and the imposition of sanctions on that country – these are the major economic developments of the past week.
- National Bank's official forex rate strengthens to UAH 26.08 to dollar 09:55 Tuesday, 22 May 2018
- Ukraine sees retail trade grow by 7% in Jan-April 09:25 Tuesday, 22 May 2018
- Reuters: Oil prices edge up on Venezuela, Iran supply worries 09:00 Tuesday, 22 May 2018
- Ukrainian steelmakers reduce gas consumption by 18% in April 16:47 Monday, 21 May 2018
- Week's balance: EU decides to lend EUR 1 bln, Rada outlaws palm oil, Kyiv ups public transport fares
- Week's balance: Punishment for Crimea, Nord Stream 2 in Germany, and oil price hikes
- Week's balance: cuts in subsidies, completion of sowing campaign, and large privatization list
- Dmytro Shvartz Week's balance: Roundwood timber in exchange for EU aid, slowdown in industrial output, and billions on road safety
- Week's balance: UAH 30 per dollar, burden of minimum wage rise, and energy regulator's staffing issue
- Week's balance: Partners recommend reforms, Groysman declares war on "secret club of subsoil users," and law enforcers go for useless searches at Ukrzaliznytsia
- Russia partly limits Ukrainian ships' access to Sea of Azov reportedly over live-fire exerciseThe area is 2,000 square km.
Hooded men open fire with Kalashnikovs in Marseille – media20:50, 21 May 2018
NYT: Mueller hopes to wrap up obstruction inquiry into Trump by Sept. 1, Giuliani says12:56, 21 May 2018
- Escalation in Donbas: Two Ukrainian soldiers killed, nine wounded in action in past day 10:26 Tuesday, 22 May 2018
- Russian-led forces shell Maryinka in Donbas, kill local resident – Zhebrivsky 23:55 Monday, 21 May 2018
- Border guards show another proof of Russian aggression in Donbas (Photo) 21:55 Monday, 21 May 2018
- UEFA Champions League final: National Police says terror threat level in Kyiv increased 19:55 Monday, 21 May 2018
- Over 30 children in hospital, 400 evacuated after unknown substance sprayed in Mykolaiv school 15:19 Monday, 21 May 2018
- Russia, Ukraine split medals at Budapest Artistic Swimming World Series – media 13:55 Monday, 21 May 2018