Ukraine's Prosecutor General's Office / Photo from UNIAN

Ukraine's chief prosecutor Yuriy Lutsenko has announced the Ukrainian authorities are going to close criminal proceedings against recently assassinated leader of the self-proclaimed "Donetsk People's Republic" ("DPR") Alexander Zakharchenko.

"A procedural decision will be made in [his] criminal proceedings. I think we will do it quickly and with the feeling that the punishment had been imposed on the criminal," the TV news service TSN quoted Lutsenko as saying on Sunday, September 1.

Lutsenko says he has no sympathy with Zakharchenko.

"The man who had endangered his country, who had thrown millions of people into the abyss of war and misfortune, deserved the death Zakharchenko had," Ukraine's chief prosecutor said.

Read alsoAlmost 20 people go missing after Zakharchenko's assassination in occupied Donetsk

Earlier, chief of Ukraine's SBU Security Service Vasyl Hrytsak said that the SBU would probably close the Zakharchenko case. It will be decided by investigators.

On July 31, 2014, Zakharchenko was informed of the suspicion of committing a crime under Part 1 of Article 258-3 (creation of a terrorist organization) of the Criminal Code of Ukraine. He was put on the wanted list.

A court on August 1, 2014, authorized the arrest of Zakharchenko.

An explosion in a local café on August 31, 2018, killed two persons, including Zakharchenko, while nine more were injured.