NATO doesn't rule out pro-Russian militants' further advance in eastern Ukraine
NATO sees a "definite decrease" in the number of armed clashes in Donbas, the east of Ukraine, since the announcement of the truce, but notes that earlier peace agreements were used by pro-Russian militants to prepare for new operations.
This was announced by Gen. Philip Breedlove, the Commander of the Supreme Allied Command Europe and U.S. European Combatant Command, in Brussels on Wednesday, an UNIAN correspondent reported.
"We do see formations on both sides of the line withdrawing some weapons,” Breedlove said.
According to him, there has been a "definite decrease" in fighting recently, but firing continues along the entire line of contact.
He also noted that earlier peace agreements had been used by militants to prepare for new operations.
"We've seen how the last two ceasefires were used to rearm, refit and prepare for further operations, as we saw that in Debaltseve and other places," Breedlove said.