Names of people responsible for MH17 downing to be known by 2018 – media
Malaysian Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai predicts that the names of those who are responsible for the downing of Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in July 2014 are expected to be known by 2018 at the latest, according to The Star.
Speaking while winding up the debate on the Supply Bill at the committee level for his ministry at the Dewan Rakyat sitting on Tuesday, Liow said that the Joint Investigation Team (JIT) had identified 100 individuals linked to the tragedy, The Star reported.
"They have to call every one of them to investigate all the details and when we have identified who shot the aircraft, we will do everything in our power to get the court in the Netherlands to prosecute those responsible," Liow said.
UNIAN memo. A Boeing 777 plane of Malaysia Airlines Amsterdam-Kuala Lumpur flight MH17 was shot down on July 17, 2014, over an area in Donetsk region that was controlled by pro-Russian militants. All 298 people on board, including 80 children, were killed in a crash. Most of the victims – 196 passengers – were Dutch, 44 were Malaysian citizens, 38 were citizens of Australia.
The Dutch Safety Board on October 13, 2015, released its report on the causes of the MH17 crash. It was established that the aircraft had been shot down by a Buk system. The joint investigation team (JIT) on September 28, 2016, presented a report revealing that the plane had been shot down from the militant-controlled territory of Donbas by the Russian Buk anti-aircraft missile system, brought to Ukraine from Russia. The JIT is composed of experts from five countries, namely the Netherlands, Australia, Malaysia, Belgium, and Ukraine.