Government held meeting on nuclear energy issues today
Withdrawal of the Chornobyl NPP from operation was discussed
On the instructions of Prime Minister of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych a meeting with participation of Vice Prime Ministers of Ukraine Klyuyev A.P., Tabachnyk D.V., National Academy of Sciences President Paton B.Y. first vice president of NAS Shpak A.P., well-known scientists of the National Academy of Sciences specialized in nuclear physics and energy, leaders of the Ministry of Emergencies, Ministry of Fuel and Energy, Ministry of Regional Building, State Committee on Nuclear Regulation took place in the Cabinet of Ministers House, according to the government’s press-center.
The meeting concerned consideration of issues on implementation of the scientific-technical policy in the sphere of nuclear energy utilization, prospects of nuclear energy complex development of Ukraine, withdrawal of the Chornobyl NPP from operation and transformation of the Shelter (Ukryttya) object into ecologically safe system.
Within the framework of the meeting its participants have visited a series of leading scientific institutions concerned with the above-mentioned issues, in particular, the Nuclear Research Institute as well as the Institute of Semiconductor Physics.
During the meeting the NAS of Ukraine scientists Shestopalov V.M., Vyshnevsky I.M., Klyuchnikov O.O., Stohniy B.S., Pokhodnya K.M. – have proposed to consider the following issues:
- present-day safety of nuclear energy of Ukraine, external economic aspects of nuclear energy safety;
- state of physical security of nuclear energy objects, nuclear materials, other sources of ionizing radiation;
- usage of spent fuel and radioactive waste;
- scientific-technical problems on preserving, using and removing highly concentrated nuclear materials;
- fulfillment of international projects at the industrial area of the Chornobyl NPP.