Photo from UNIAN

Ukraine's 128th Separate Mountain Assault Brigade deployed in the zone of the Joint Forces Operation in Donbas has reported one of their men has gone missing in the area of hostilities.

The soldier could be captured by Russia-backed militants, the Brigade press service wrote on Facebook.

"On the night of December 28, 2018, it was discovered that one of the servicemen of our brigade had gone missing," the report says.

The search that was launched immediately yielded no results as of January 2, 2019, says the press service.

On December 29, 2018, the military prosecutor’s office launched a criminal investigation into the matter.

Read alsoOne Ukrainian soldier killed in action, another two wounded in Donbas in past day

At the same time, pro-militant online resources announced the capture of a Ukrainian military serviceman, uploading a picture of his assault rifle.

In turn, the press service of the 128th Brigade confirmed that the weapon had been registered with the missing soldier.

The press service of the Ministry of Defense noted that they could neither confirm nor deny the incident.

In addition, the press service of the JFO Staff reported they were verifying reports.