A sabotage and reconnaissance group of the Russian-led forces tried again to advance across the contact line in Donbas at night.

"Under cover of fire from small arms, the enemy tried to take the Ukrainian positions near the village of Novotoshkivske," as reported by the press center of Ukraine's Joint Forces Operation (JFO) on Facebook.

The units of the Joint Forces timely spotted the enemy and repelled the attack with firearms. As a result of a military clash, the enemy sabotage and reconnaissance group retreated, having suffered losses. At the same time, the enemy left the body of the deceased Russian mercenary on the battlefield.

On Friday, Russia's hybrid military forces mounted 13 attacks on Ukrainian positions.

Read alsoUkraine military in Donbas find ammunition available only to Russian army

The enemy opened fire from proscribed 120mm and 82mm mortars, grenade launchers of various types, heavy machine guns, and small arms.

Under attack came Ukrainian positions near the towns of Krasnohorivka and Maryinka, and the villages of Pavlopil, Lebedynske, Novotroyitske, Pisky, Orikhove, Luhanske, Travneve, Novotoshkivske, and Novoluhanske.

"One member of the Joint Forces was wounded amid enemy shelling on February 21," the JFO HQ said.

Since Saturday midnight, Russia-led forces have attacked Ukrainian positions twice near Maryinka, and the village of Novomykhailivka, using a 120mm mortar and a tripod-mounted man-portable antitank gun.

No casualties were reported among Ukrainian troops Saturday morning.

As UNIAN reported earlier, Russian occupation forces attacked Ukrainian defense positions in Donbas near the settlements Novotoshkivske, Orikhove, Krymske, and Khutir Vilniy in Luhansk region in the early hours of Tuesday, February 18. They employed 152mm, 122mm 120mm mortars, large machine guns, tanks, and grenade launchers of various types. Under fire cover, the enemy moved to an active offensive, attempting to advance across the line of contact. One Ukrainian military serviceman was killed in action and another six were wounded. Five enemy troops were killed.

Chief of Ukraine's General Staff Ruslan Khomchak said that the enemy attack was reportedly timed to coincide with the anniversary of the fierce battles near Debaltseve, where Ukrainian troops suffered major losses.