BelTA: Next round of Minsk talks on Ukraine slated for June 29

09:25, 16 June 2016
178 0

Ambassador Martin Sajdik, the Special Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office in Ukraine and in the Trilateral Contact Group on the implementation of the peace plan in the east of Ukraine, says the next round of talks on Ukraine will take place in Minsk on June 29, according to Belarus' largest news agency Belarusian Telegraph Agency (BelTA).

The latest Trilateral Contact Group meeting in Minsk took place on Wednesday, June 15 / Photo from UNIAN

Sajdik told BelTA on June 15 that despite the best efforts made by the Trilateral Contact Group at its latest meeting on that day, no progress had been made on prisoners of war exchange. This issue was on the agenda of the subgroup on humanitarian affairs.

Read alsoKremlin: Sentsov, Kolchenko swap being discussed, Putin to decideSajdik said the sides should demonstrate more political will for resolving the problem, primarily the release of the sick and the injured.

The subgroup on economic affairs traditionally discussed the restoration of water supply and the restoration of the railway infrastructure as well as the payment of pensions. "There are difficulties with restoring the integrated railway system. There is a very important issue. It concerns various social rights of workers," Sajdik said.

The subgroup on political affairs continued discussing the modality of organization of local elections in certain parts of Donetsk region and Luhansk region. In particular, the role of political parties was in focus. The sides also exchanged opinions about amnesty.

Read alsoNATO chief demands Russia withdraw from Ukraine: RFE/RLThe subgroup on security affairs discussed, among other things, ceasefire violations and the problem of separating the warring sides along the conflict line in Donbas.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter