Ukraine plans to end the war in Donbas, but not at the expense of losing its sovereignty or concessions that would not be accepted by Ukrainians, says Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council Oleksiy Danilov.
"Today we're doing everything in our power to stop the war, to put a halt to fatalities among our guys at the front line," Danilov told journalists in Kyiv on Wednesday, August 12, according to an UNIAN correspondent.
"Today it's been the 16th day without casualties at the front," Danilov noted.
Read alsoZelensky sees Normandy as "beginning of Donbas freedom"
The NSDC secretary said the Ukrainian government had been doing everything to end the war in Donbas, "but not at the expense of losing our sovereignty or going for certain concessions that our society would not accept."
- Participants in the Trilateral Contact Group (Ukraine, Russia, OSCE) on the peace settlement in Donbas on July 22 agreed on a full and comprehensive ceasefire on the contact line from 00:01 on Monday, July 27.
- The new ceasefire regime was enforced at 00:01 Kyiv time on July 27.
- However, the Russia-controlled armed groups continue to provoke Ukrainian military in defiance of ceasefire agreements reached, by opening random non-aimed fire.
- The OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) to Ukraine has recorded over 250 ceasefire violations since the start of the newly-agreed truce in the Donbas zone of hostilities.