Kremlin refuses to answer question about prospects of extradition of suspects in MH17 crash

14:00, 19 June 2019
World
471 0
REUTERS

Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov has refused to answer the question about the prospects of extradition of suspects in the attack on the Malaysian Boeing in the summer of 2014 over Donetsk region, who should be announced by the Joint Investigation Team in the Netherlands today.

"I don't consider it possible to say anything without any publications. So far there are no publications, there is nothing to discuss," Peskov told journalists, answering a question on whether Russia would give away four suspects, or whether there could be judicial actions against them in the Russian Federation, an UNIAN correspondent in Russia reports.

Read alsoIdentifying persons linked to MH17 downing: fresh report by Bellingcat

"Second. You know our attitude to this investigation. Russia did not have an opportunity to take part in it, although from the very beginning, from the first days of this tragedy, we took the initiative and tried to become part of this investigation of this monstrous catastrophe," Peskov said.

UNIAN memo. Malaysia Airlines' MH17 Boeing 777 heading from Amsterdam for Kuala Lumpur was shot down on July 17, 2014, over militant-occupied territory in Donetsk region. All 298 people on board who were citizens of 10 countries were killed in the crash. The majority of the victims, 196, were citizens of the Netherlands. The Dutch Safety Board October 13, 2015, issued a report on the causes of the accident. It was revealed that the plane had been shot down by a Buk anti-aircraft missile system. The Joint Investigation Team in its report published on September 28, 2016, confirmed that the plane had been downed by a Russian-made Buk brought to Ukraine from Russia. No suspects have been named, though Dutch Chief Prosecutor Fred Westerbeke said his office had identified 100 "persons of interest" in the investigation, including those who organized the arrival of the rocket and oversaw its transportation from Russia to Ukraine and back.

The SBU Security Service of Ukraine today will charge four persons involved in the shooting down of a Malaysian MH17 flight over Donbas in July 2014.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter