No terrorist threat to EU institutions in Brussels: EC spokesman
The European Commission will remain open on Monday, while its employees have been informed of the “specific reinforcement of the rules,” EC spokesman Margaritis Schinas said at a press conference on Monday, according to an UNIAN correspondent in Brussels.
The work will be organized throughout the day “through flexible arrangements,” he added.
“There is close coordination between all the institutions. But at the same time each institution has its own nomenclature, its own autonomy to adapt to the information received from the Belgian authorities,” said the spokesman.
As media reported, the highest, fourth, alert level, announced on November 21, was extended into Monday. Subway stations of the Belgium’s capital have been closed over the weekend, a number of events have been canceled. Additional security measures were introduced in public transport.
Brussels remains at the center of the investigation into Paris attacks when it was revealed that the suspects had been living in Belgium.
As UNIAN reported earlier, Belgian law enforcers conducted 19 searches in Brussels within the framework of the anti-terrorist raid, arresting 16 people. The suspect in Paris attacks, Salah Abdeslam, is still at large, Brussels prosecutor Eric Vandersypt said at a press conference late Sunday.