Captured Paris attacks suspect moved from Belgian hospital to jail
Belgian police moved Europe's most wanted man Salah Abdeslam from hospital to a high-security jail on Saturday, where he will face questions about the Paris attacks and likely charges, a day after his arrest in a Brussels shootout, according to Reuters.
Abdeslam is the first person suspected to have played an active part in attacks in Paris to have been taken alive, was held in a Brussels hospital after being shot in the leg during Friday's police raid near his parents' home, Reuters reports.
He and another man, identified as Monir Ahmed Alaaj, are expected to appear before a magistrate, who should outline the charges they face and authorize their five-day detention.
Over the past four months, France and Belgium have detained several people linked to the prime suspects but none of them are suspected of a major role.
French President Francois Hollande, who had been visiting Brussels for a European summit when Friday's drama unfolded, has said France would seek extradition for the Brussels-based Frenchman. Abdeslam was, Hollande said, definitely in Paris on the bloody night of Friday, Nov. 13 when 130 people were killed.
Read alsoYahoo News: Fugitive Paris terror attack suspect captured alive in BelgiumBelgian Prime Minister Charles Michel summoned security and intelligence chiefs to an emergency sitting of Belgium's national security council, for the second time in four days.
Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Reynders told reporters that authorities had possibly foiled another attack.
"We are very happy to have taken such an important step in the investigation into to Paris attacks, but we're not at the end of the road," he said.
Friday's swoop came after fake passports and Abdeslam's fingerprints were found following a bloody raid on Tuesday in which Mohamed Belkaid, a 35-year-old Algerian not on security watchlists, was shot dead and police officers wounded.