Iraq sees worst bombing since invasion with 250 deaths – BBC
The death toll from Sunday's suicide bombing in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, has risen to 250, the Iraqi government says, making it the deadliest such attack since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion, according to BBC News.
A lorry packed with explosives was detonated in the Karrada district while families were shopping for the holiday marking the end of Ramadan, BBC News wrote.
So-called Islamic State (IS) has said it carried out the suicide attack.
An earlier estimate for the attack had put the toll at 165.
Read alsoU.S.-led strikes pound Islamic State in Iraq, kill 250 fighters – ReutersIraq remains under an official state of mourning following the bombing.
The destruction of the area was all but complete. Bewildered local residents have held candlelight vigils and prayed for peace.
Scores of people were also injured but most have been released from hospital, according to the Iraqi health ministry.
The ministry said those critically injured had been sent abroad, without giving further details.
The bombing in a mostly Shia Muslim area just after midnight came a week after Iraqi forces had recaptured the city of Falluja from IS.