Reuters: Six dead, eight wounded after Kazakh shootings – hospital source

17:32, 18 July 2016
92 0

At least six people have been killed and eight wounded in attacks on police by suspected Islamist militants in Almaty on Monday, a source at the Kazakh city's emergency aid hospital told Reuters.

REUTERS

The source said there were four policemen and one civilian among the dead, as well as one suspected attacker. The Interior Ministry had earlier put the death toll at four, including three policemen, Reuters wrote.

Read alsoUpdate: Three officers reported dead after shootout in AlmatyAccording to the BBC, Nursultan Nazarbayev called the shootings in the commercial capital Almaty a terrorist act and the terror threat level has been raised.

The interior ministry said one 27-year-old suspect had been detained but an accomplice was still at large.

Read also"Failed coup attempt in Kazakhstan": Experts see Russian trace in Aktobe turmoilMonday's attack comes a month after a deadly assault by suspected Islamist militants in the north-western town of Aktobe.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter