MH17 case to be heard in Netherlands, Hague seen as probable venue

11:58, 05 July 2017
135 0

Dutch media outlets have reported with reference to government sources that those responsible for shooting down flight MH17 over Donbas in July 2014 will be tried under the jurisdiction of the courts of the Netherlands, according to an UNIAN correspondent.

REUTERS

Such an agreement was reached between the countries that are involved in the investigation into this case – the Netherlands, Belgium, Australia, Malaysia, and Ukraine.

Court hearings could take place in The Hague, the media said.

UNIAN memo. Malaysia Airlines' MH17 Boeing 777 heading from Amsterdam for Kuala Lumpur was shot down on July 17, 2014, over militant-occupied territory in Donetsk region. All 298 people on board who were citizens of 10 countries were killed in the crash. The majority of the victims, 196, were citizens of the Netherlands.

Read alsoFSB isolates one of key witnesses in MH17 case – OSINT groupThe Dutch Safety Board October 13, 2015, issued a report on the causes of the accident. It was revealed that the plane had been shot down by a Buk anti-aircraft missile system. The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) in its report published on September 28, 2016, confirmed that the plane had been downed by a Russian-made Buk brought to Ukraine from Russia. The missile launch site was located in militant-controlled Pervomaisk.

Nearly 100 people are among the suspects in the case.

Russia said the report could not be perceived as the "ultimate truth," calling the JIT conclusions "preliminary."

Bellingcat's team of investigative journalists published a report on June 5 with proof that the Buk originated from Russia.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter