Kremlin responds to UN statement on movement of Russian forces to Donbas

16:40, 06 June 2016
775 0

Kremlin's spokesman Dmitriy Peskov called groundless the UN official's statement that there were credible reports of the Russian troops and heavy weapons moving into and across Donbas, according  to an UNIAN correspondent in Russia.

REUTERS

"Any such statements are nothing but groundless accusations until they are backed by some evidence. This has not been the case so far," Dmitry Peskov said on Monday, commenting on reports quoting the spox for the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Ravina Shamdasani.

Peskov noted that such statements have been repeatedly voiced at different levels over the last two years.

Read alsoDonbas to "never" see ceasefire until "political settlement" reached: LavrovAs UNIAN reported earlier, UN Human Rights spokeswoman Ravina Shamdasani said that her organization had got credible reports on troops and heavy weapons arriving from Russia to eastern Ukraine.

"There have been strongly credible reports of servicemen from across the border from Russia coming into and out of Ukrainian territory," she told VOA.

"And, the same goes for heavy weaponry as well. There have been very credible reports," she said.

She also noted that there was a worrying increase in heavy weaponry near the contact line, which borders Donetsk region in eastern Ukraine and the government-controlled area.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter