Mejlis ban: Chubarov says Russia to be sued in ECHR
Member of Parliament from the Petro Poroshenko Bloc and Chairman of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people Refat Chubarov said the claim is going to be lodged with the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) against the Russian Federation over the Russian ban on Mejlis.
"The lawsuit will be filed in the near future, as soon as the lawyers prepare the relevant documents," Chubarov said at a briefing on Friday, according to an UNIAN correspondent.
According to him, the ban on the Mejlis is a gross violation of fundamental international instruments - the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.
Chubarov said that Ukrainian authorities had shown their tough stance on the decision of the Russian Supreme Court.
"Today, we expect the statement of the relevant international human rights organizations," he said.
Read alsoPoroshenko: Prohibition of Mejlis continuation of Stalin’s policySpeaking on the Mejlis activity under these conditions, Chubarov said that it was decided in April to coordinate the activities of the Mejlis of the Crimean Tatar people in an emergency mode, therefore eight Mejlis members and the leader of the Crimean Tatar people Mustafa Dzhemilev were given authority.
At the moment, with the entry into force of the ruling of the Russian Supreme Court to ban the Mejlis, Chubarov says he will not be able to openly involve the members of the Mejlis in the decision-making process because they may face imprisonment, Chubarov said.
At the same time, "despite the ban, no one will be able to prohibit the struggle of the Crimean Tatars for their rights," according to Chubarov.
He stressed that all decisions would be made in Kyiv starting today, September 30.
Chubarov stressed that none of the Mejlis members have left it because of the pressure but "there were also cases when people actually opposed themselves to the Mejlis."
Read alsoUkraine MFA: Mejlis ban actually ban of Crimean Tatar peopleHe noted that the activities of three members of the Mejlis had been suspended earlier, and on September 22, the mandate of another three members of the Mejlis was suspended as well.
Chubarov does not exclude that the Russian occupiers may begin to persecute the Mejlis members for their activities before the entry into force of a court decision to ban the Mejlis.
"A total of 2,500-3,000 people are facing risk now. All of them are members of the Mejlis of different levels," he said.