Kremlin: No new comments on Savchenko's possible swap

16:48, 07 April 2016
Ukraine
126 0

The Kremlin has no new comments on the possibility of swapping Ukrainian pilot Nadia Savchenko sentenced to 22 years in jail in Russia over killing of journalists, according to Russian news agency TASS.

REUTERS

"I have nothing to add to what I have already said on this issue," Russian presidential spokesman Dmitry Peskov told journalists, TASS reported.

Ukraine's Justice Minister Pavlo Petrenko said earlier that "the political talks continue" on Savchenko's fate.

Peskov refused to comment on the statement.

Savchenko's lawyers say that the Ukrainian authorities are taking efforts to have her transferred to Ukraine. Russia's justice ministry said on Wednesday it has not yet received a request from the Ukrainian side on handing over Savchenko to Kyiv.

Read alsoSavchenko begins 'dry' hunger strikeAs UNIAN reported earlier, the Donetsk City Court of Russia's Rostov region sentenced Savchenko to 22 years' imprisonment in a penal colony.

Savchenko, 34, was charged with complicity in the June 2014 deaths of two Russian journalists near Luhansk, Ukraine, as well as with illegally entering Russia.

Russian officials say she directed mortar fire against a checkpoint manned by Russia-backed separatists in Ukraine that resulted in the deaths of the journalists.

Savchenko denies the charges, saying she did not recognize the Russian court or its right to try her.

She earlier announced he had decided not to appeal the verdict and would renew her "dry" hunger strike from April 6.

Savchenko started serving her sentence in Russia on April 5.

On April 6, she resumed hunger strike, refusing to consume both food and water.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter