Olenivka incident update: One civilian killed, another wounded in shelling by occupation forces

16:58, 21 January 2018
War
1615 0

One civilian has been killed, another has been wounded in an attack by the Russian occupation forces on a passenger bus near the Olenivka checkpoint in Donbas, eastern Ukraine, according to the press center of the Anti-Terrorist Operation (ATO) Headquarters.

Photo from ATO HQ press center on Facebook

"According to recent reports, the bus with civilians was attacked by militants from illegal armed formations of the self-proclaimed 'Donetsk People's Republic.' The local residents crossing the contact line through the checkpoint at the moment [of the incident] claimed one civilian had been killed, another one had been wounded," the ATO HQ said in an update on Sunday, January 21.

Read alsoRussia's occupation forces launch six attacks on Ukraine army in past day, use banned armsThe Russian media attempted to discredit the Ukrainian army by putting the blame for the incident on Ukrainian troops, the ATO HQ said.

"Such cynical actions by the Russian mercenaries are aimed at discrediting the Ukrainian army pending OSCE Special Monitoring Mission's Principal Deputy Chief Monitor Alexander Hug's visit to Donetsk and Luhansk regions," the press center said.

The State Border Service of Ukraine earlier reported about two civilians wounded near the village of Olenivka in the so-called "grey zone" in Donbas.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter