The government plans to submit proposals to a new edition of the Ukrainian Constitution, according to the governmental program of actions posted at the official web site of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine.
In line with the document, in the opinion of the Cabinet of Ministers, its strategic priorities are as follows:
- to improve the distribution of authorities between the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers, and the President of Ukraine, in order to create an efficient balance of bounds and counterpoises;
- to clearly set out the status and mechanism of forming the government and bases of its activities, rights and obligations of the Prime Minister, other government members, to regulate legislatively their authorities;
- to develop parliamentarism and its institutional bases, to develop the party system, to improve the proportional system of parliamentary and local elections, to fix legislative status of a parliamentary majority (a coalition of deputies’ factions) and a parliamentary opposition;
- to cancel lawmakers’ immunity by means of restricting it to forms of parliamentary activities;
- to clearly divide political and professional state (public) activities in the structure of public administration.
To achieve that goal, the government plans to prepare proposals to a new edition of the Constitution.