Moscow court extends Sushchenko's arrest until March 30
The Moscow City Court on Wednesday extended the arrest of Ukrainian journalist Roman Sushchenko, suspected of espionage, until March 30, 2018, according to an UNIAN correspondent in Russia.
The court ruling was announced following a closed hearing as the case has been classified from the very start. The judge fully satisfied the motion of the investigation.
According to Sushchenko's lawyer Mark Feygin, an appeal will be filed tomorrow.
Read alsoU.S. Mission to OSCE urges Russia to drop charges against Ukrainian journalist SushchenkoAs UNIAN reported earlier, the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) on September 30, 2016, detained an Ukrinform correspondent, Roman Sushchenko, in Moscow, labeling him a "Ukrainian intelligence operative" who allegedly "deliberately collected classified information on activities of the armed forces and the national guard of the Russian Federation."
Sushchenko was officially charged with espionage.
September 25, 2017, Moscow's Lefortovo district court extended the arrest of the Ukrainian journalist until November 30.
On October 21, Feygin said that the investigation into the Sushchenko case had been completed.
"We have read two volumes [of the case] out of ten. According to the FSB, Roman collected information about a Russian military incursion into Ukraine," the lawyer said.
Read alsoСapture of Ukrainians by Russian special services instrument of "hybrid" war - British MPOn November 10, the Moscow court found it legitimate to extend the arrest of Sushchenko until November 30.
On November 27, the Moscow City Court extended the arrest of Sushchenko for another two months, until January 13, 2018.