Remains of miners killed by blast on June 8 found in Karl Marx mine

16:14, 07 August 2008
Ukraine
583 0

Probably there were 9 people

The remains of the nine miners who were killed by a blast on June 8 of the current year have been found in Karl Marx mine in the Donetsk Oblast of Ukraine.

According to an UNIAN correspondent, State Industrial Supervision Committee Donetsk Oblast department chief Mykola Maleyev said this to a press conference today.

According to him, the remains of the miners are being identified.

“Probably there were 9 people in the cage”, M.Maleyev said, adding that rescuers have reached the cage, cut off its roof, and got the remains.

The Central Headquarters of the local branch of work safety body has confirmed to UNIAN that rescuers discover fragments of dead bodies in the mine almost every day now.

As UNIAN reported earlier, huge explosion that has no precedents in the history of Ukraine’s mining industry, occurred in Karl Marx mine in the east-Ukrainian Donetsk region on June 8. 37 people were reported to be underground. Out of them, 24 were brought to the surface, one miner was found dead, and the plight of another twelve missing miners still remains uncertain.

The blast occurred at around 5:00 am (0200 GMT) June 8 1,000 meters (3,300 feet) below the surface of the Karl Marx mine in Yenakiyevo, north-east of the regional capital Donetsk, Bondarenko said.

The mine, opened in 1958 and one of the oldest in Ukraine, was closed down due to safety violations and only a skeleton staff was working at the time of the blast, according to the emergency ministry.

In November last year, a gas explosion at the Zasiadko mine in Donetsk killed 101 miners. The accident was the worst of its kind in this former Soviet republic.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter