President urges response to storm
Yanukovych will take urgent measures
President Victor Yushchenko has asked Prime Minister Viktor Yanukovych to take urgent measures to tackle the aftermath of Sunday’s severe storm in the Azov and Black Seas, according to the President`s press-office. The President wants him to:
- establish a special committee to coordinate relief and rescue efforts in the storm-hit regions;
- involve central and local authorities and the Emergency Situations Ministry in these operations;
- allocate funds to deal with the aftermath of the disaster;
- reduce environmental threats in the affected regions, especially at the Kerch Strait.
- ensure that Ukrainians receive necessary and objective information about the relief and rescue operations.
The president on Sunday instructed the Crimean premier, the governors of Ukraine’s southern and southeastern regions and the head of the Sevastopol administration to take measures to restore infrastructure and maintain calm and order in their regions and provide temporary accommodation, food and medical aid for storm victims.