Russian President Vladimir Putin has conferred the rank of Colonel-General on Sergey Kuzovlev, one of the former military commanders in the so-called "Luhansk People's Republic", the unrecognized entity in the Russian-occupied part of Donbas, eastern Ukraine.
Supervising Russian-controlled mercenaries with the self-proclaimed "LPR," Kuzovlev operated under a number of aliases, including "Sergey Yuryevich Ignatov," "Tambov," and "Ignatov," uc.od.ua reports.
It is known that the general earned the promotion for assisting terrorists in waging war on Ukraine's territory, the report reads.
On January 6, 2015, the SBU Security Service of Ukraine made public intercepted communications between the so-called "ataman of the Cossack National Guard" Pavel Dryomov and his subordinates. The records made it clear that Major General Kuzovlev, at the direction of Russia's top leadership, was coordinating "LPR" proxy forces' activity and the process of arms and ammo supply.
Read alsoUkrainian military claims Russian general is directing militants in eastern Ukraine (Video)In the spring of 2015, Kuzovlev was recalled to Russia after being replaced by Yevgeniy Nikiforov Deputy Commander of the 58th army of the southern military district.
On August 22, 2016, the Prosecutor General's Office (PGO) of Ukraine put Kuzovlev on the list of 18 persons charged with committing especially grave crimes against Ukraine's national security foundations, as well as peace and international law and order.
Donbas: Other reports
- FM Kuleba on scenarios for Donbas reintegration: "A bad peace is better than a good war"
- U.S. can do more to end Donbas war, Russian occupation of Crimea, Ukraine's top diplomat says
- Ukraine's Commander-in-Chief says Army ready for any scenario in Donbas
- Escalation in Donbas: Ukraine reports two KIAs, three WIAs on Feb 22-23
- Neither brothers, nor even friends: Why "peaceful coexistence" with Russia is deemed impossible
- Another Russian sniper unit arrives in Donbas – intelligence
- Enemy fighter detained amid attempt to sneak into Ukrainian positions in Donbas, stab soldier on duty
- Donbas warzone update: One WIA amid six truce violations on Feb 24