Dutch court may be allowed to prosecute those involved in MH17 crash by video link

11:40, 22 March 2018
World
485
REUTERS

The Ministry of Justice said the law would allow foreign suspects to be brought before the court, including by video link, if their extradition would be complicated. It is also reported that the case will be heard by the District Court of The Hague, the press service of the Government of the Netherlands reported, according to the DW's Russian Service.

Read alsoRussia trying to influence Dutch public opinion on MH17 with fake news - minister UNIAN memo. Malaysia Airlines' MH17 Boeing 777 heading from Amsterdam for Kuala Lumpur was shot down on July 17, 2014, over militant-occupied territory in Donetsk region. All 298 people on board who were citizens of 10 countries were killed in the crash. The majority of the victims, 196, were citizens of the Netherlands.

The Dutch Safety Board October 13, 2015, issued a report on the causes of the accident. It was revealed that the plane had been shot down by a Buk anti-aircraft missile system. The Joint Investigation Team in its report published on September 28, 2016, confirmed that the plane had been downed by a Russian-made Buk brought to Ukraine from Russia.

No suspects have been named, though Dutch Chief Prosecutor Fred Westerbeke said his office had identified 100 "persons of interest" in the investigation, including those who organized the arrival of the rocket and oversaw its transportation from Russia to Ukraine and back.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter