Daily Sabah: At least 7 killed in Russian airstrike on aid convoy in Syria
At least seven people died, 10 got injured after an apparent airstrike, reportedly by Russian jets, targeted an aid convoy in the northwestern Syrian town of Azaz near a border crossing with Turkey on Wednesday, according to Turkey's English-language Daily Sabah.
Footage filmed at a crossing on the Syrian side of the border with Turkey's southern province of Kilis showed lorries burning, Daily Sabah wrote.
The head of the rebel-run border crossing in the same area said separately that air strikes hit a garage for commercial trailers, killing seven lorry drivers.
Anadolu news agency reported that 20 lorries were targeted, which were carrying cement and iron brought from Turkey in a regular procedure.
Speaking to Daily Sabah, Serkan Nergis from the Humanitarian Relief Foundation (IHH) said that the targeted area is located some 5 kilometers southwest of the Oncupınar Border Crossing.
Nergis said that IHH has a civil defense unit in Azaz and they helped locals to extinguish the trucks. Trucks were probably carrying aid supplies or commercial materials, Nergis added.
"Our teams helped extinguish the fire... The trucks do not belong to us and there is no information on who bombed them," Mustafa Ozbek, an Istanbul-based official from the IHH, told Reuters.
The aid worker who filmed the aftermath initially said it appeared that aid trucks had been targeted.