Battle of Aleppo ends after years of bloodshed with rebel withdrawal - Reuters
The battle of Aleppo, one of the worst of a civil war that has drawn in global and regional powers, has ended with victory for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his military coalition of Russia, Iran and regional Shi'ite militias, according to Reuters.
However, the war will still be far from over, with insurgents retaining their rural stronghold of Idlib province to the southwest of Aleppo, and the jihadist Islamic State group holding swathes of the east and recapturing Palmyra this week, Reuters reported.
"The fighters are going to leave the city," Russian U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin told reporters in New York.
The rout of rebels from their ever-shrinking territory in Aleppo sparked a mass flight of terrified civilians and insurgents in bitter weather, a crisis the United Nations said was a "complete meltdown of humanity". There were food and water shortages in rebel areas with all hospitals closed.
Read alsoUN: Aleppo civilians 'shot on the spot'The United Nations earlier on Tuesday voiced deep concern about reports it had received of Syrian soldiers and allied Iraqi fighters summarily shooting dead 82 people in recaptured east Aleppo districts. It accused them of "slaughter".
"The reports we had are of people being shot in the street trying to flee and shot in their homes," said U.N. spokesman Rupert Colville. "There could be many more."
By finally dousing the last embers of resistance burning in Aleppo, Assad's military coalition of the army, Russian air power and Iran-backed militias will have delivered him his biggest battlefield victory of the war leaving the rebels without a significant presence in Syria's main cities.
According to the latest report by TASS, Mr Churkin said the Syrian government has regained full control of Eastern Aleppo, and the fighting ceased to give way to a practical phase of humanitarian efforts.