7 fall ill after eating fugu fish in Yamagata

10:51, 27 January 2009
763 0

Another diner identified...

Seven diners fell ill, one critically, after eating ‘‘fugu’’ globefish, a Japanese wintertime delicacy, at a restaurant in Tsuruoka, Yamagata Prefecture, on Monday night, police said Tuesday, according to Kyodo News via Japan Today. The seven consumed sashimi and fish testes at the restaurant Kibun-ya from 6:30 p.m. Monday and one of them identified as Asakichi Sato, 68, fell ill on the spot and was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in critical condition, the police said.

Another diner identified as Takashi Igarashi, 55, was still in serious condition while the remaining five were experiencing numbness in the hands and legs, police added. Restaurant owner Iwao Aizawa did not have a license to prepare the fish, which can be poisonous if not prepared properly, police said.

If you see a spelling error on our site, select it and press Ctrl+Enter