The latest escalation in Nagorno-Karabakh region between Armenia and Azerbaijan has continued overnight, as reported by the defense ministries of both countries.
The city of Tartar has come under fire of the Armenian armed forces units in the morning of September 28, according to the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry.
"Ministry of Defense's leadership warns the other side for the last time that we will take adequate response measures against them," reads the report.
Later, the ministry reported on the counter-offensive operation in the Nagorno-Karabakh region and that "a large number of enemy soldiers have been killed."
"Units of the Azerbaijan Army, moving from the heights and advantageous positions liberated from the Armenian armed forces, continue their counterattack to consolidate the success achieved," it said.
Also, according to the ministry's statement, "by delivering rocket-artillery and air strikes on enemy positions, [the enemy] was forced to retreat from the lines they were trying to hold."
Read alsoNew hostilities erupt along Armenia-Azerbaijan border; civilian, military casualties reported (Photos, video)"Several advantageous high grounds around the village of Talysh were cleared of the occupying forces, while the enemy suffered heavy losses," the report says.
In turn, press secretary of Armenian Defense Ministry Shushan Stepanyan on her Facebook page said that intense fighting had continued throughout the night in the southern, southeastern and northern directions of the front line in Nagorno-Karabakh.
"As a result of the counterattack undertaken by the units of the Defense Army, the opponent suffered heavy losses in manpower and military equipment. The Defense Army regained a number of previously lost positions," Stepanyan said.
War in Nagorno-Karabakh: Past developments
- The conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia over Nagorno-Karabakh region began in 1988, when the predominantly Armenian-populated Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast announced its withdrawal from the Azerbaijan Soviet Socialist Republic.
- In 1991-1994, the bloodshed conflict continued in the region, which ended with the signing of a ceasefire protocol. Nagorno-Karabakh proclaimed itself an independent "republic." Azerbaijan did not recognize this, considering the territory to have been occupied by Armenia.
- From time to time, clashes erupt along the line of contact.
- On September 27, fighting resumed in the Nagorno-Karabakh region. Both countries blamed each other for the outbreak of the hostilities.
- The Azerbaijani authorities announced deaths during an attack on Nagorno-Karabakh mounted from Armenia.
- Armenia, in turn, reported the downing of several helicopters and drones of the Azerbaijani Armed Forces. According to the Armenian authorities, Azerbaijan also lost three tanks.
- Turkey has already announced support for Azerbaijan in the conflict with Armenia.
- Armenia, Azerbaijan and Nagorno-Karabakh have declared martial law. Mobilization has been announced in Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh.