President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko commented on the Donbas settlement plan put forward by Special Representative of the OSCE Chairman-in-Office in Ukraine and in the Tripartite Contact Group, Martin Sajdik, by stating that the Minsk agreements had already spelled out such plan.
“We are ready to consider any plans if they don't harm the sovereignty, territorial integrity, and independence of our state. I'd like to emphasize that the plan is set forth in the Minsk agreements, it is on the Minsk agreements that sanctions against Russia are based and a package of sanctions is being prepared in connection with the aggression in the Kerch Strait, in the Azov-Black Sea water area, the head of state said during a “Freedom of Speech” panel show on ICTV, commenting on the proposals of the OSCE envoy.
The President noted that the Minsk Agreements clearly indicated the withdrawal of all foreign troops, all heavy weapons and military equipment from the territory of Ukraine back to the Russian Federation, and that this document was signed by Russian President Vladimir Putin.
Poroshenko stressed that the implementation of the Minsk agreements provides for the restoration of Ukrainian sovereignty in and the Ukrainian control of the occupied Donbas.
The president noted that to ensure the security component, in 2015, he proposed deploying in eastern Ukraine a UN peacekeeping force.
"In 2018-2019, we already have the support of the United States, Britain, France... Negotiations were held with China to at least have them refrain from veto. Who is standing against [the move]? It's the aggressor state, the Russian Federation," he said.
“There may be many plans, but the UN peacekeepers will not be some escort service for OSCE monitors. Peacekeepers should create peace and have a mandate of responsibility throughout the occupied territory. The presence of peacekeepers means disarmament of illegal armed groups, withdrawal of foreign troops, equipment, and provision of security," Poroshenko stressed, adding that "I think that Mr. Sajdik needs to read and support this, I advise he do that."
As UNIAN reported earlier, on Jan 28, 2019, Sajdik announced a new "Donbas settlement" plan involving a joint UN and OSCE mission.
It is assumed that the Normandy Four leaders must conclude a new agreement, to be approved by both Ukrainian and Russian parliaments.
He clarified that it is about the UN-OSCE interaction under the joint leadership of a so-called special representative.
He added that also, the European Union plans to organize a recovery and reconstruction agency using the example of the one already operating in the Balkans.
At the same time, he reported on the proposal to set up in Donbas a transitional UN administration, which, among other things, would guarantee that the rights of the local population are observed, not restricted. This will also include the issue of amnesty.
Also, he noted that "the Minsk agreements clearly stipulate that representatives of the so-called special areas of Donetsk and Luhansk [regions] will participate and be heard in the [settlement] process."
"We assume that this should be the case even after a comprehensive agreement is approved,” Sajdik added.
In turn, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin said that Sajdik's "plan" was the latter's "own vision", while real things should be discussed after the "DPR and "LPR" disappear.