Ukraine National Team have opened this season with a win as it edged past Switzerland in Nations League's Group A where Germany and Spain also played the same night, sealing a draw.
The 2:1 win thus put Ukraine on top of the group.
West Ham's Andriy Yarmolenko opened the score with a cheeky backheeler just 14 minutes into the match, while Switzerland equalized just before break with a long-range effort by Haris Seferovic.
Read alsoFC Shakhtar through to UEFA Europa League quarterfinals after dominating VfL WolfsburgIn the second half, Switzerland mostly dominated the pitch, while Ukraine delivered a number of sharp counterattacks.
Manchester City's Oleksandr Zinchenko eventually curled home a left-foot beauty from almost an impossible angle, sealing the win for Andriy Shevchenko's squad.
Celebrating the goal, Zinchenko held up his black armband, payin respects to the team's late doctor who recently passed falling victim to coronavirus.
The home game was played in Lviv, seeing empty stands due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Ukraine in Nations League: background
- Shevchenko's team extended their unbeaten streak to 12 matches.
- The last time they lost was on November 16, 2018, against Slovakia (1: 4), also in Nations League.
- This year, the team were promoted to Nations League Group A.
- Germany and Spain who played on the same night with Ukraine and Switzerland drew 1:1.
- Ukrainians will play the next match against the Spaniards in Madrid on September 6.