Some 270 relatives of Dutch MH17 victims to sue Russia in ECHR
A group of 270 relatives of the Dutch victims of flight MH17 downed in July 2014 in Russian-occupied Donbas will lodge a complaint against Russia with the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
Their U.S. aviation attorney, Jerry Skinner, told the Dutch EénVandaag current affairs program about the plans, the Ukrainian news outlet Yevropeiska Pravda said, citing the De Morgen newspaper.
The complaint will be filed no later than on June 13, he said.
The family members of the Dutch victims would thus join the complaint filed on the same case on behalf of the 33 Malaysians, Australians and New Zealanders, who had been brought it before the court earlier.
The 270 people are relatives of at least 130 victims, including 100 who were from the Netherlands.
Skinner did not specify the amount of compensation that can be estimated at millions of euros. The attorney drew attention to the fact that the European Court of Human Rights is the only court that can examine individuals' complaints against Russia.
The international Joint Investigation Team (JIT) that investigates the MH17 incident announced on May 24 that the plane had been shot down by the Buk anti-aircraft missile system of the 53rd anti-aircraft brigade of the Russian Armed Forces, stationed in the Russian city of Kursk.
Australia and the Netherlands have called on Russia to take on responsibility and cooperate with them to ensure justice. Australia and the Netherlands also demand compensation from Russia for the families of the MH17 victims.